Thursday, March 22, 2007

Marijuana in School?

I must be really old fashioned or really really naive...but on the news today they were talking about a 6 year old boy that that had been suspended for a week and was facing expulsion because he was found to have a bag of Marijuana in his pocket. He had told police that he had found it in the living room of his home. The parents had stated that it was not theirs, but had likely come from someone visiting the home.

WHAT?!? 6 years old! Good grief. Do you realize that if this child had ingested it, it could have killed him? OK, so it's not the parents' marijuana, but what kind of "friend" brings that stuff over to your home, knowing that you have a child??? What if he had brought it out in front of a child that was allergic to it? Or around a baby? I know, I know... it could have been worse, yet it wasn't. I really feel bad for the child. I mean, come on, he's 6! I can't help but wonder what is going through his mind? How did they handle it? Was he scared? Did anyone take the time to explain to him what he had done and why it was wrong?

They finally allowed him to return to school.

It really amazes me at the things that kids are getting in trouble for nowadays! I remember when I was in 1st or 2nd grade and I got in trouble for bringing a deck of cards to play with during recess. We were playing "slap-jack". The principal found us playing and confiscated the cards. Yes, I know, this is really dating me. But, apparently at the time, it was considered "gambling paraphernalia". Yes, I'm serious. I also remember getting in trouble for "talking" in class and being in tears when the teacher made me stand in the hallway. Terrified that the principal would see me & I would get a spanking. Yes, I said spanking! They had corporal punishment in the schools that I attended. I don't condone corporal punishment. AND I do believe that there is a better way of punishment than suspension for a child this young!

Yeah, yeah, I know, kids are exposed to a lot more than we were, when we were young. But, here again, it brings me back to the whole "work from home" idea. You know, the mom's of the 1930's & 40's & 50's were doing something right. Most mom's stayed at home. I believe that there is a lot to be said about a "stay at home mom". God Bless them all!!! If we, as moms, were more concerned with our families' REAL "well being", then we would find other means of supporting our family financially, than working 50-60 hours a week in somebody's office, doing work for them. I realize that in today's society that you pretty much need to be a 2 income household in order to put food on the table, a roof over your head, and clothing on your back. But it is high time that we start "living on less" instead of "living large".

You do NOT have to give your child "everything that you didn't have" as a child.
You do NOT have to be involved in every social event that you are invited to.
You do NOT have to keep the house spotless, dinner served on time, and perfect every day.

What I believe that we DO need to do is:
~ Spend more time with our children, without the TV
~ Let the kitchen dishes go for a night & do something that they want to do
~ Make dinner more often, eat out less
~ Allow your child to be involved in the activities that they are genuinely interested in, but set limits! Otherwise, they will end up stressed, unhappy, and trying to "keep up with the Jones' "

Comments welcome!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you totally. Why didn't the parents of the child not see the marijuana on the table before the child did? That makes me crazy thinking about what could have happened. What is going inside that house that the child got ahold of the stuff? You know what I think. I think that the stuff was the parents and they are covering up by saying it was their friends.

Anonymous said...

no one in the world is allergic to marijuana. It would not have killed him, if he had ingested it, and it is a lot more commonplace than you think. Many medical conditions can be controlled and improved with the use of marijuana as well. I think you are greatly misinformed on this plant and its many uses. And I would challenge you to research it some more. I think it should be legalized for medical use through out the country, as it is better than many of the synthetic drugs that we force people to take instead.

One Mommy said...

Dear Anonymous 4-7-07,

Thank you for your comments. My blog was about Marijuana in SCHOOL... not in adults, nor for medicinal uses. There ARE people that are allergic to it, the same as there are people allergic to other plants. Children are especially susceptible, because of their size. Had the children decided to show one another how to "smoke" it... if it were to have been exposed to a child with asthma, YES it could have killed them if they had gone into an asthma attack and not been near enough to help.

I have no problem with it being used for medicinal purposes. I watched my aunt suffer with pain from bone cancer and nothing that was available touched her pain. I am all for natural remedies! You are preaching to the choir. : )
As for being misinformed on the uses of this plant, I will be the first to stand up and say that I believe that more natural remedies should be enocouraged versus the synthetic junk that the drug companies are pushing!

That is why I only use products in my home that are eco safe and environmentally sensitive. I believe in it so much, that I have become a representative for Melaleuca, the company whose products I use. If you would like information on their products, email me & I would be happy to share some samples with you.

Christian Gifts Of Faith

Support White Boxer Rescue!!!